 Castle / 19961
Re: Announcing the MOCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:19:52 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Thomas Garrison wrote:

I don't think item two is accurate.  The actual announcement applies the
2304 stud limit to "raised landscaping" on which the castle is built, not
generic "surrounding lands", which could include, oh, a green baseplate.
This is actually quite a bit more limiting than what I initially thought
(I thought the CASTLE AND surrounding lands had to fit on a 2304 stud
area, with the castle occupying up to 1536 of those studs).

I think this is indeed a bit confusing. I am pretty sure it is meant that the
ENTIRE MOC fits on a 48 x 48, and the castle can occupy up to 36 x 48 of that.

Interestingly, there is no height limit on the landscaping.

I think it would be good to get that cleared up. How about the landscaping can
take up to ~12 bricks? Anyone think this is reasonable?

I'm still trying to puzzle out if item one is accurate.  The announcement
talks about a "footprint", and I have yet to find a satisfactory
definition of "footprint" (okay, I've only checked dictionary.com and
m-w.com, which incomprehensibly combine the 2-d concept of area and 3-d
objects like buildings).  Is the obvious test case (a structure 32x48
studs at the base with sheer walls and a headlight brick with a shield in
an outward facing wall a few bricks up) admissible?  Beats the heck out of
me.

I think it is fair to say a flag, shield or a even few bricks here and there
hanging over the allowed castle base of 36 x 48 is OK, but having a sunstantial
section of a tower overhanging the footprint (i.e. 36 x 48 area) may be
contrieved as cheating... Easiest solution is to let people decide by themselves
what they think is fair. If judges think you went overboard interpreting the
rules, it will be reflected negatively in your score.

Paul

TWS Garrison