 Castle / 18463
Re: White Tower -- Under Construction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:20:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jordan Bradford wrote:
When the new castle wall standard <http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=17792 was
announced> way back in August, I wanted to build a cool tower to use in a
corner section. I also wanted to see if I could build stuff along diagonals,
which isn't very easy. This use of tall sloped pieces was the genesis for it
all:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=568145>

I wish I had more white 1x1 round bricks, because those gray ones just don't
look good. Oh well. I also quickly realized I didn't have enough white pieces
to make the tower in the first place, so I decided to instead create a scene
of minifigs {building} the tower. I think it turned out pretty well,
considering I have never built a LEGO scene of my own design before; I've
always just built LEGO sets as the instructions show, and objects like
spaceships and TECHNIC/Mindstorms things.

I finally got around to taking pictures of my tower scene, so here they are
on Brickshelf.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=62543>

I'm particularly proud of the big rock that one guy is breaking up, since
I've never tried making a landscape type object, either. I like how the hole
he's making in it ended up looking.

If some of the pictures seem slightly spotty, it's because my digital camera
can't do good closeup shots, so I used the digital zoom to get in that far. I
had a bunch of other pictures, too, but they were extremely out of focus
because the camera was too close. So, you won't get a close shot of the cart
with wood in it, or of the guy carving the marble arch. But I think the
overhead shots show them well enough.

Let me know what you think, since this is my first ever attempt at something
like this.

Jordan,

That's a very nice scene you have made. Posing minifigs in action really brings
a MOC to life, even an unfinished one.  Reminds me of a sky scraper construction
scene I built with a friend when I was much younger. It won a ribbon in a local
fair, even though there was very little to the construction itself. Most of the
interest came from the MiniFigs At Work.

I too like your rock with the hole, it really looks like that worker has been
digging!

The tower itself has a very interesting design, I'd love to see it further
along. If you are too short on white, try using some yellow or light yellow for
an ivory and gold look.

Good luck!
KR