 Castle / 17793
Re: Something I saw in brickshelf from Thomas Rafert
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:52:14 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Erick Jensen wrote:
Sorry to step on your post if you were going to post, Thomas.  I searched the
name and there hasn't been a post in over 3 years so I figured I'd show
everybody this.

No toes stepped on here.  I haven't been active of Lugnet because life has got
me so busy now so I try to save all my free time for building. :-)

This display is amazing.  I'm blown away, that's what I wish I had the bricks to
build.  With the trees and the landscaping and all.  I am very impressed.

e.

Thanks for posting the link and the nice comments.  I've had most of it together
for about a year now, and some of the buildings for more than 4 years.  My main
desire is to add a lot of detail to it, bring it to life so to speak.  I've gone
through some of the buildings and hinged them to open up and gave them
interiors.  I should have a lot more added to it for NWBC
http://www.sealug.org/nwbrickcon2003.html.

Dan Parker is the one put on the show and asked me if I'd like to show my
display.  Of course I said yes, otherwise it just sits in my building room.

Dan Parker wrote up a short description of the display for our SEALUG list, I've
attached it below.

Hi all,
the medieval-scape grew to 80 square feet of well-detailed, story-packed LEGO
brick.  Tom may post pictures by next week but here's a quick description:

As visitors approached the layout, they could see a duke's castle beseiged by an
invading army.  A large force was dispatched from the King's castle to render
aid, and rushed in behind the attackers and their seige weapons.  Heavy cavalry
held in reserve by the invading King and his princes then charged, serving as a
screen for the rear of the seige crews.  Meanwhile, with only a small detachment
at the King's castle, a pair of Viking ships[1] have landed and have the
townspeople in a panic.  The Vikings, superstitious and wary of magic as ever,
have avoided Fairie Island which doubled in size overnight.  This was no news to
the King's Wizard, who had sent his dragon to spy on things.

Tom worked on new terrain sections while I built an 11th-century Saxon Church
from some photos of typical churches in England.

Wanted to acknowledge Jennifer W who stopped by again, and a few folk who may
attend NWBC due to seeing the display this weekend.

1 - the correct term is 'Norwegian Recreational Vehicle'.  Such crews always
book their travels through a local travel office which promises "fun and frolic
in the British Isles".  "Leave with more money than you came with" is their UK
travel program slogan.

Dan Parker
dnvpark@gte.net

Thank again for the kind comments.