 CAD / LDD / 185
Re: RAILBRICKS Instructions submissions now open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.railbricks, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:39:33 GMT

In lugnet.publish.railbricks, Jeramy Spurgeon wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Jeramy Spurgeon wrote:
   Submission of instructions does not guarantee inclusion on the site. Priority will be given to complete instructions in .pdf and .html format. LDraw files may be accepted at our discretion, but they generally will not be converted to instructions and LDraw files will be given a lower priority on the site. We cannot accept files in any other format.

You may also link to your brickshelf or other gallery of instruction images. We will convert these into .pdf files for inclusion on RAILBRICKS.

The categories include:

We decided to add another category to the list: Track Plans (as well as Tim’s Electric suggestion)
The file types accepted for this category are .tdl (TrackDesigner) or .xml (TrackDraw)

We’ve also loosened up our file type submissions to now accept the following:

• .zip or .rar files of image collections
• .jpg, .png, or .gif of single page instructions (please do not load multi-page instructions one at a time. Either zip or rar them into a single file)
• .lxf, .ldr, and .mpd for LEGO Digital Designer, LDRAW, and Mike’s LEGO CAD file types

Unfortunately, due to server restrictions, files must be less than 8mb in size. If your file is larger than this, let me know and we can make arrangements to get it.

Note: During the submission process, you are asked for a thumbnail. Please disregard this since it looks for images located on our server. We will generate the necessary thumbnail for your submission.

Jeramy Spurgeon

Hi Jason and Jeramy,

I came out with “TrainBase” as a place to recognize high-quality LDD train models, in the era before the “Cool Train Creations” page on the LEGO Factory website. I can’t say that I gave much regard to the quality of the building instructions, since LDD 2.0 determines those (and usually does a less-than-stellar job). Certainly, there is room out there for LDD models that come with a polished set of instructions.

I’m happy to let Jeramy archive LDD models on the RailBricks site, since his site is more set up for this kind of thing; on the TrainBase site, I had to make all of the additions by hand, a rather cumbersome process which would never allow me to cover the entire scope of LDD train models available.

I think LDD train models are great in the sense that they are a way of sustaining the Trains line (and interest in it) as the transition is made between protocols. In the past, I have brought a few LDD train models to shows, where they received considerable interest. The idea of loading the CAD model into LDD to view the instructions was still received as foreign by some builders. It seems like those models would be much more successful if each came with a printed book of clear instructions, like any other LEGO set does.

-Jordan