 CAD / LDD / 108
107  |  109
Subject:
LDD Model of GG-1 Electric Locomotive - Advice Requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:57:07 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I decided to model the very well known GG1 locomotive as a model available from LEGO Factory. I took some liberties with the design and color scheme in order to accomodate what can be done in LDD. Even so, I think the result is inherently recognizable as a GG1:

I also developed both red and black paint schemes, intended to be reminiscent of Pennsy’s Tuscan Red scheme and PC’s Midnight scheme, respectively. The cowls fore and aft of the cab section are removable, in case one wants to add some transformer equipment. I designed this model to use two motors since, as large as it is, I think that two will be needed in order for the locomotive to pull much more than itself.

Now, I’m asking for some assistance from the community regarding this design. First, I’m not 100% satisfied with how the cab windows look - I’d like to have them slant back a little more. Although things are fine as they currently stand.

More importantly, this locomotive is big, like the real GG1 - about 48 studs long. Will this make it through curves? The powered trucks are attached to the locomotive, while the unpowered trucks are not and just trail behind the powered trucks.

Red GG1: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jordan/TrainFactory/prr_gg-1_red.png

Black GG1: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jordan/TrainFactory/pc_gg-1_black.png

LEGO Factory gallery link, after moderation: http://factory.lego.com/gallery/?parameters=2||0eb3f502-fae0-493b-a9f9-1d846e451a49

I appreciate your suggestions and comments.

Thanks, Jordan