Re: Parts Releases and the CA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:53:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Thomas Garrison wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:

About two years ago LDraw.org decided to move to a new license scheme
(the Contributors Agreement) for the parts library. This new system has
numerous advantages, perhaps most importantly the fact that most parts
will now be distributable without having to include Complete.exe
and ldraw027.exe (a problem for many new users) and can be included
with other software without a separate parts installation.

It has been a huge undertaking tracking down old part authors and asking
them to agree to these new terms and a lot of people have put a huge
amount of work into making this happen. The process is slowly reaching a
conclusion now with the number of authors[1] (and parts by those authors)
nearing zero. Once these authors have been tracked down (or their parts
replaced by new versions) the entire library will be under the new
agreement which allows for consistency in future releases and allows
their release rate to be increased again.

I may have missed this, but has LDraw.org released a list of the parts that need
to be replaced?  I would think that making such a list available and encouraging
part authors to focus their efforts on those parts first would speed things up
and reduce the number of parts that will need to be removed for a CA-compliant
library to be released.

TWS Garrison

chris is working on the list. stay tuned.

w.

Here is the list of files in the official library, whose original author has not
affirmed the CA. I have not reviewed all of these for comments that indicate
they might already have had a complete re-write. Some files are already on the
Parts Tracker with revisions, so please check there before starting work.

If anyone would like to re-write these from scratch - without copying the
original author's work, then please do so and send to the LDraw admins
(parts@ldraw.org) for submission to the Parts Tracker.

As we go through the library to reformat the headers, we may find other files
with significant changes made by non-CA authors. We'll deal with those on a case
by case basis.

Many thanks, Chris

p 4-4con0.dat
p connect5.dat