Re: MOTM / SOTM Voting For December Is Now Open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 00:13:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:14:28AM +0000, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
This prevents people from remotely calling the followon PHP function
to process the form data without actually using the form (i.e. bot
protection among other things).

And what do we need "bot protection" for?  It is already a "members
only" page.

Not to mention that it's trivial to bypass it if you did want to use a
bot.  If we need to do bot protection, we can use a captcha (similar to
the way we're protecting the full installer) when votes are actually
submitted.  But there's no reason (imo) to disallow multiple windows.

I'm hesitant to use a captcha since it's just one more step in a process that's
supposed to be quick and easy (i.e. it makes since to us webheads but the
general user will see it as a pain-in-the-rear).  I do however agree that a
permissions check is also done so this "authid generation" might be pointless.
I've asked the PN forums for more clarification on the issue since I can easily
remove authid checks in this instance (i.e. it's in the code for the module and
not part of core PN).

-Orion