Re: library license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 00:13:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
I imagine we would define the author of the Parts Library as LDraw.org? The
point for me is, parts authors are submitting their work towards the community
effort. It makes much more sense to me that the community organization licenses
out the parts library for use, than the individual authors do.

Whatever license we adopt, it would be good to declare the library as community
property under the auspices of LDraw.org
Why dont we do what the Free Software Foundation does with the GNU project.
Basicly, everyone wanting to contribute code signs something stating that
they hand over copyright to GNU.

We do the same thing, with gaurantees in the contract that ensure that
ldraw.org will only retain copyright as long as the parts are available
under <insert licence we choose here>

People would only need to sign the thing and transfer copyright if they
want parts on the tracker or in the parts library.

The only problem with that is getting permission from authors that have *already
contributed*. Many are no longer contactable, and of those that are, there may
be some that don't want their work owned by Ldraw.org. You'd effectively need to
create a new library, and add the old parts to it as permission is granted by
authors.

And contacting all the authors initially would not be a trivial task either.

ROSCO