Re: library license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 13:20:21 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:

I imagine we would define the author of the Parts Library
as LDraw.org?

That would (as I understand things) be impossible from a
legal point of view.

The point for me is, parts authors are submitting their
work towards the community effort. It makes much more
sense to me that the community organization licenses out
the parts library for use, than the individual authors do.

Maybe.  But that would then require that all the parts
authors formally transferred their copyright to LDraw.org.
This is possible, but parts authors living in EU can not
transfer their _authors_rights.

Whatever license we adopt, it would be good to declare the
library as community property under the auspices of
LDraw.org

I honestly can't see the point in that.  If the library is
distributed under a sensible license, I definitely prefer
that the individual authors retain their copyright, so a
coup in the organization can't suddenly change the
conditions we can access the library under.

But since I haven't written that many parts files, my
opinion doesn't count much (but you still have to read it
;-).  Each individual parts author is free to make whatever
decision he/she may want to make about the licensing
conditions and copyright transfer (within the limits of the
law) for his/her parts files.

Jacob
--
"Preserve wildlife, pickle a duck."