 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 622
Re: Mac Brick CAD and the Imerial Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 16:58:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse wrote:
Yeah, watch out for that software rendering on the Mac.  It sneeks up on
you.  I know it can switch you over while your program is running, but I
don't know what causes it to happen other than resizing a window.  You
might want to query it about the driver as you build up your display lists
to see if it switches you over to software rendering at some point.

Actually, the same thing can happen in Windows if you resize a window too big
(say 1600x1200) on an older video card.  However, I'm not sure you can tell that
it has switched to software mode on Windows, because as far as I know it is
still being rendered by the video card's OpenGL driver.  I can't see how it
could possibly switch drivers mid-stream because different drivers support
different extensions.  That would mean that an extension that you had been told
was present could disappear.

--Travis