 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 611
Re: Mac Brick CAD and the Imerial Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 18:01:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Andrew Allan wrote:
2. Redrawing is far more interesting as all drawing is handled by OpenGL using
OpenGL lists. To draw a part I load the part orientation matrix into OpenGL and
then call the list. Originally I theorised that more recient graphic cards with
OpenGL hardware acceleration would have loaded the lists into the RAM memory
present on the card and then drawn them directly, big speed advantage. But
practice isn't bearing this out since there seems to be very little drawing
speed differences. So I need to figure how Apple handles OpenGL with respect to
lists.

Your expectation is certainly justified.  I don't know what the driver
architecture is on the Mac, but I suspect that the video hardware manufacturers
are responsible for the OpenGL implementation for their own hardware, just like
on the PC.  If this is the case, then it is ATI that's responsible for doing the
right thing with the data (or not doing the right thing).

I can say that on the PC side, it appears that at the very least the geometry
encompassed by the display lists gets downloaded into video RAM.  If I turn off
conditional edge lines, the model renders reasonbly fast (on the order of 10fps,
IIRC) in my next-gen LDView.  (Yes, that's fps, not spf.)  The current LDView
has memory issues that slow it down, and I'm not sure what its speed is.

Just out of curiosity, how are you drawing your geometry?  On ATI hardware on
the PC, I think vertex arrays are faster than OpenGL 1.0 glVertex calls, even
when encapsulated inside a display list.  This doesn't seem to be the case on
nVidia hardware on the PC.  (It might also not be the case with recent ATI
drivers.)

--Travis Cobbs