 CAD / Development / 5524
Re: Searching for parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:33:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:

The FAQ could be updated to:

LDraw/LEdit MUST be started in the LDraw directory. They search for files in:
1. P
2. PARTS
3. MODELS
4. .

Modern programs should search in:
1. Inside the document if it is an MPD
2. The document's directory
3. %LDRAWDIR%\P
4. %LDRAWDIR%\PARTS
5. %LDRAWDIR%\MODELS
where LDRAWDIR is the LDraw directory.

Good point.

I'm glad you agree.

Your "1. Inside the document if it is an MPD" reminds me: how do renderers
handle caching of submodels inside an MPD?  Are these files visible outside
of the MPD, or do they lose scope?

With the following files, how will C.DAT render?  Will 'some stuff' be
drawn twice, or will we see 'some stuff' and 'some other stuff'?

A.MPD:
0 FILE A.DAT
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 B.DAT
0
0 FILE B.DAT
some stuff
0

B.DAT:
some other stuff
0

C.DAT:
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 A.MPD
1 16 0 48 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 B.DAT
0

L3P/L3Lab will draw 'some stuff' twice.
The file B.DAT is never loaded, as the subfile B.DAT was loaded
during reading A.MPD.
It doesn't matter whether subfile A.DAT references B.DAT or not.

An MPD should be regarded as a collection of files which is automatically
unpacked before loading, so the scope is public.
I would have preferred the scope to be private...
See also http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=4188 (L3P/L3Lab will give
you a warning about roof.dat) and http://news.lugnet.com/cad/mlcad/?n=325
/Lars