 CAD / Development / 5518
Re: Searching for parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:38:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:
According to FAQ question 26, LDraw searches for files in the following order:
1.The current catalog.
2.The P catalog.
3.The PARTS catalog.
4.The MODELS catalog.
L3P/L3Lab search in the above order, with the addition:
5. The catalog of the model  [1]
(See also "File search also in directory of model" in
http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p.html#version11)

IIRC LDraw/LEdit MUST be started from the LDraw directory to work.
So for LDraw/LEdit step 1 is always the LDraw directory!

Maybe "the current catalog" actually means the Ldraw directory?

If so, I have misunderstood "the current catalog" because I have
programmed L3P (and L3Lab) to actually use the current working
directory from where L3P is started.
And this is why LDRAWDIR is needed for L3P!

So, should I change step 1 to be the LDraw directory?

I don't think you misunderstood the way LDRAW works so I wouldn't
change step 1 to the LDRAW directory.

I agree with Travis Cobbs that step 5 should be the first step.
Will this have any side effects?
/Lars
[1] Actually, to ease BFC development L3Lab also searches:
0a.The BFC\P catalog.
0b.The BFC\PARTS catalog.

Although it's not exactly compatible with LDRAW, I think searching 5
first is the most versatile.  After all, for a command line user it's
fairly easy to make 1 and 5 be the same.  Just CD to the directory
containing the model, then start the program.  I suspect LDRAW users
do this anyways since there is a limited amount of characters
available for the path/filename passed on the command line to ldraw.
(I think you get 12 chars which is just enough for an 8.3 filename.)

Thus FWIW my recommendation is to search 5,2,3,4 in that order and don't
bother with 1 because it's most likely to be the same as 5.  And if it's
not, it makes more sense to search 5 than 1 because subparts will probably
be in the same directory as the model itself.

Don

Hey, what about the times when you don't want to search either 1 or 5, like
when the program is launched from IE or Netscape and the file is in some
temp directory with who knows what other garbage?  Would a command line
option to only search directories 2,3, and 4 be useful?