 CAD / Development / 5522
Re: Searching for parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:45:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:

According to FAQ question 26, LDraw searches for files in the following order:
1.The current catalog.
2.The P catalog.
3.The PARTS catalog.
4.The MODELS catalog.

The FAQ is not quite correct.  Step #1 should be last, not first.

Strictly speaking, LDraw 'searches' by trying to access files, named as
follows.  (This is taken directly from the LDraw code).

'p/' + <filename>
'parts/' + <filename>
'models/' + <filename>
<filename>

Really!

Where <filename> is the file specified either on the LDraw command line, or
in a subfile command (linetype 1).

Notice that *all* references are relative to the current directory.  The
only way to get out of the current-directory tree is to put an absolute
path in the <filename>.

L3P/L3Lab search in the above order, with the addition:
5. The catalog of the model  [1]

This is a good thing.

I'm noticing a difference between the way L3Lab renders and the way LDLite
renders.  I've got a multi-file model in a subdirectory, but there are some
files with the same name in the ldraw/models/ directory.  L3Lab renders the
way I want it to :) , but LDLite doesn't. :(

The very first place to look is inside the model-MPD...

IIRC LDraw/LEdit MUST be started from the LDraw directory to work.
So for LDraw/LEdit step 1 is always the LDraw directory!

True.  Besides the issue with finding the part directories, LDraw needs to
load its graphic drivers, and it looks in the current directory for them.

Indeed, but we've just learned that P, PARTS and MODELS come first.
So step 1 is not the first step, but comes after step 4.

Maybe "the current catalog" actually means the Ldraw directory?

It might actually be more accurate to say "Request <filename> from the file
system, without specifying any extra path information".  Whether the file
is in the current directory depends on the contents of the <filename>
reference.

If so, I have misunderstood "the current catalog" because I have
programmed L3P (and L3Lab) to actually use the current working
directory from where L3P is started.

Are you specifically looking in a specific directory, or are you allowing
the OS to track the 'current directory'?

It happens automatically, I simply use "fopen(<filename>)".

And this is why LDRAWDIR is needed for L3P!

So, should I change step 1 to be the LDraw directory?

No, I don't see any point to that.  Long-term, LDraw rendering programs
should (generally) be searching:

1. The document's directory
2. %LDRAWDIR%\p
3. %LDRAWDIR%\parts

ldraw\models should become much less important, over time.  Users should be
able to store their model files whereever they like.

Having ldraw\models is convenient, because you can put unofficial parts
there (and not disturb the 'official' files in \parts and \p), or use it as
a temporary location for other people's models, or even put standard
submodels in it.

I agree with Travis Cobbs that step 5 should be the first step.
Will this have any side effects?

Yes, any same-name files will be taken from the document's directory,
instead of one of the standard directories.  This is generally a good
thing.

I aggre totally with all you've said.
The Open File dialog in L3Lab does a CD to the model's directory,
so step 1 becomes in effect the same directory as step 5
- exactly like your long-term suggestion is correct.

The FAQ could be updated to:

LDraw/LEdit MUST be started in the LDraw directory. They search for files in:
1. P
2. PARTS
3. MODELS
4. .