 CAD / Development / 4574
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:54:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

"Steve Bliss" <blisses@worldnet.att.net> writes:

6041.DAT      Propeller  3 Blade  1.5 Diameter
4617.DAT      Propeller  3 Blade  5.5 Diameter

Sounds good to me!

Cool.  I'll look at the other propellors (note LDraw-spelling) and rotors to see
if their names can be adjusted to match.

Here's another problem to think about: categories.  Should Propeller
and Rotor be combined?  It seems redundant to have both.

I think they should be combined.  We don't have that many
propellers/rotors anyway.  Besides, it is probably better to put them in
the same category, as the user will spend less time searching for
individual parts.

True, but what category?  The differences between propellors and rotors are
small (for our purposes), but the diferentiation is large and strong.
Helicoptors have rotors, and planes and boats have propellors.  So we can't just
put all these parts under either Propellor or Rotor.  Likewise, we can't put
them under the Plane category, because planes don't have rotors.

Create a new Aircraft category?  I don't think that's an attractive solution,
but maybe I'm wrong.  Then again, that pretty much leaves out 6041.dat, which is
really a boat propellor.

We could just call them all 'fans', and confuse everybody equally.

Steve