 CAD / Development / 4534
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:27:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Rui Martins wrote:

Maybe he meant something like:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw2.png
or
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw3.png

And as you can see, not more polygons, but actually less.

Hmm.  There's a couple of problems with your examples.

In overdraw2.png, you are having the quad intersect the circle exactly
at two vertices.  If the quad was a bit narrower, you would need to
split the two original triangles, retaining the part that is outside the
quad, and inserting a new triangle for the inside.

In overdraw3.png, the polygon which replaces the area of (Quad - Circle)
is a pentagon.  That needs to be split into a triangle and a quad.

Once you take these two problems into account, you get more polys, not
less.

I don't think we should have any rules against overlapping polygons of
the same colour.  That would impose far too much work on the parts
authors.

Not a Rule, just a "guideline", authors are NOT obliged, but they are
encouraged to do it, because it's better.

Too many obscure 'guidelines' will still discourage new parts authors.

Steve