 CAD / Development / 4498
Re: Voting Open for LCAD Parts Update 2000-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:42:07 GMT

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, John VanZwieten wrote:

[...SNIP...]
But the amount of superpositioning is generally small compared to the overall
size of the part.

This depends only on the actual part, the point of view and in which order the
overlapping polys are given (also depends on view).

-third, because the polys are superimposed on each other, this usually
means
that there will be some more points (geometry) to be processed, which also
slows down the renderers.

Sometimes more points, but probably more often fewer points.  Consider a disc
overlapping the end of a quad which is just over half its diameter.  To
prevent the quad from overlapping, you would have to cut the quad into about
7 tris and match them to the perimeter of the disc.

Not exactly, see what I mean in the following example image:
http://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/vote2000/overdraw.png

Note: points are marked in RED
1 - Quad and a Disc
2 - Quad and Disc with Overdraw (in YELLOW)
3 - "Complex" form derived from the merge of Quad and Disc

You could even remove the center of the half disc, and use tris connecting the
disc eddge points into the oposite quad edge points.

[...SNIP...]
You make some good points, but I would be concerned that we not create so
many guidelines for modeling parts that it discourages people from doing it.

Guidelines are NOT Rules, they serve only as a guide, which after sometime,
everyone will be following unconsciously, that's the beauty of Guidelines.

It's one thing to demand that official parts _look_ as correct as possible.
It's another thing to demand that parts give optimal performance.

If you follow some guidelines, the second objective, will be a consequence
of the first.

I know
I've made performance suggestions before (usually regarding primitive use),
but I try to provide the corrective code if possible.

I would also like to be able to do that, but I don't actually have the time for
it right now.

Life isn't perfect, or it would only be made of legos.

See ya
Rui Martins