 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6213
Re: Parts vs subparts for compound parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:02:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
How should all the various bits be named and where should they be stored?

There isn't always a flat rule for every case.  And we'e got plenty of 'legacy'
files that don't conform to current rules.

SNIP
* Metal bits (like connectors and such)
- Name: YYYYs##.dat
- Folder: Parts/S

Yes.  Especially for electrical bits.

* Complete assembly door/window + glass
- Name: YYYYc##.dat or YYYY.dat?

This isn't open to question - YYYYc##

- Folder: Parts

* Complete assembly ABS/CA + metal bits
- Name: YYYY.dat or YYYYc##.dat?

Hmm.  Depends on whether there are 1 or multiple plastic parts.

Okay, splitting this into two possibilities:

* Complete assembly of single ABS/CA + various metal bits
- Name: YYYY.dat?
- Folder: Parts

* Complete assembly of multiple ABS/CA + various metal bits
- Name: YYYYc##.dat
- Folder: Parts

* Shortcuts (door/window + removable glass, lightbrick with removable bulb,
etc.)
- Name: YYYYc##.dat
- Folder: Parts

Anything I've missed?

Oh, probably. ;)

Niels
For to solve the hold vote on this part, I think, that the current x322.dat
should go into the s/ folder because this is not a PART that I can buy. So the
file with the metal portion should be instead x322.dat and with the light bulb
then it will be x322c01.dat.

cu
mikeheide