 CAD / 17652
Re: 3D laser scanning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 23:17:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Present version is too detailed for a LDraw part, but it's easier to start with
a fine mesh (finer than this one) to use Sculptris. After enhancement, I
downsample the mesh using Meshlab.

One thing is missing: bottom of scan (especially in the hair). Generally I use
16 scans, 8 around and above part, and 8 below it to make sure to get all data.

Thanks, Philo!

In that case, I shall rescan without the head, from more angles, and with finer
settings - I was trying (unsuccessfully) to try and limit the polygon count by
scanning in lower resolution, but if you're using other software to downsample
afterwards then that isn't necessary.

Can your software read .SCN files? That is the native file format output by the
scanner; if you can read them then I can skip the STL translation.

Darrell