 CAD / 17641
Re: 3D laser scanning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 06:29:30 GMT

OK, this took a couple of hours of work (remember I'm learning as I go along).
It's still a little crude, and there are a few holes in the overhangs,but it's a
start!

(Do you guys still use Brickshelf? I hope I remembered how to do that
correctly..)

Anyway, obviously there are waaaaaay too many surfaces for LDraw, but I was
trying to see how accurately the scanner would work on something so small.

It should be possible to trim out the minifig head in Rhino and refine the
surface to use many fewer faces, but I'm not sure at what point you'll lose the
definition in the hair. I'll let whoever continues refining the file make those
choices.

If anyone would like the file just shoot me a private email with the format of
your choice. LMK what you think and whether it's worth it to do any more. Also
if there are any old hands at laser scanning that can give me some tips I'd sure
appreciate it. Definitely feeling my way through it.

Darrell