 CAD / 17325
Re: LEGOLAND California Ambassador Class 2010 BI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 05:35:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Joshua Delahunty wrote:

I've been creating "like official" BI for a few years now.  It started with a
Hummingbird model for the pick-a-brick shop:

http://www.brickoracle.com/pdf/LLC.JK.001-Hummingbird-Release.pdf

and then a Christmas ornament a few months later:

http://www.brickoracle.com/pdf/LLC.JK.002-Reindeer_Ornament.pdf

And now I've done the BI for the two models for this year's class.  I used ALE
tools:

LeoCAD to model the steps
LDView to generate output

Plus Adobe InDesign for layout, and makefiles and shell scripts for many of the
mechanics.

<snip>

I think that these samples really show the power and capability that ALE-built
LEGO CAD and BI tools have.  I do believe we have "arrived," ladies and
gentlemen.

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

  What does ALE stand for?  No offense, but in the world of BI's, I thought we'd
been here for quite a while?!?!?

ALE = Adult LEGO Enthusiast (as pointed out)

By "arrived," I meant BI so close to official that it's hard to tell apart from
the "real thing," and so good that TLG (or, at least, a part of it) allowed me
to use LEGO enthusiast-created tools and part meshes* to create something
they're putting their name and copyright on.

The final part of the puzzle here (furthering the "arrival" theme) (to me) are
the "shaded" knobs and texture mapping capabilities that made this model
possible, and made it look so official.

In retrospect, I can see that if you weren't clear on what I meant by "ALE," you
might think I was denigrating the efforts here.  FAR from it!  I am trying to
applaud our third-party efforts and recognize this monumental achievement, which
I don't claim as mine, but rather ours, collectively.

[I did have to break some rules of BI construction to get the BI to fit into
page requirements, and the "fading" invention I had to come up with for this set
of BI isn't exactly de rigeur TLG form, either.  My first draft of this document
followed all the "rules of BI" as I've learned them, but then I had to
systematically break them to "crush" the result down into the required page
count.  In the end, the result is pretty effective, considering...]

    -- joshua

* truth-be-told, I had a little help on some meshes here that haven't actually
been modeled in LDRAW format yet; and -- technically -- these days we aren't
entirely allowed to claim autonomy anyway as many of the trickier parts were
originally sourced from TLG meshes.