 CAD / 16232
Re: Looking for dimensions of LEGO bricks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 09:06:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson wrote:
I'm not at liberty to say too much, but I have actually looked at three real
drawings of LEGO parts, and not even TLC seems to be sure what the
dimensions should be - I've seen the distance between two studs dimensioned
as 8 mm on one part and as 8.018 mm on another!

That much?  Wow.  I figured the distance between two studs should be closer to
3mm, since a LEGO tile is (in theory) 3.2mm thick, and it will sorta fit between
two studs.  Or were you refering to the center-to-center distance?

Anyways, one thing you have to remember is that the dimensions on a LEGO brick
will be noticably different from the dimensions on a LEGO brick mold.  Depending
on the specific shrinkage rate of LEGO-spec ABS, an 8.018 mold dimension could
result in a post-form LEGO brick with an ~8mm dimension.  It's been a few years
since I actually had to know the shrink rate of ABS, but one of the sites I
pulled up on a quick search said it ranges from 0.0024in/in to 0.0165in/in.
Going with the former, an 8.018mm mold will produce a 7.9988mm part.  The latter
would result in a 7.8879mm part.