 CAD / 16230
Re: Looking for dimensions of LEGO bricks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 18:32:45 GMT

In a book of LEGO history I read, it was explicitely stated that the
original inch based measures were changed to mm. I don't remember which
year, but it was a long time ago. The distance between two studs is 8 mm.

I tried the experimental approach, built a long line of 23 x Technic beams 16
assembled with plates and measure the total length: 2937mm

With 8mm distance between studs, the theoretical value is 2944mm, error is
-0.23%
With 5/16" distance between studs, the theoretical value is 2921mm, error is
+0.54%

Though we are closer to metric dimensions, I admit my experiment is not
decisive!

But if you look at the names of parts on s@h pick a brick, you see many
dimensions expressed in mm, and a few clearly implies 1stud = 8mm:
Brick Ø16 W. Cross
Parabola Ø16
Parabolic Reflector Ø24x6,4
Parabolic Reflector Ø48