 CAD / 16212
Subject:
Looking for dimensions of LEGO bricks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 06:42:22 GMT

Hello all,

I have been playing around some Cad software called SolidWorks and would like to model LEGO bricks. Is there a resource for accurate dimensions of LEGO parts?

Dave

Re: Looking for dimensions of LEGO bricks.
I have been playing around some Cad software called SolidWorks and would like
to model LEGO bricks. Is there a resource for accurate dimensions of LEGO
parts?

Hi Dave,

check out the LDraw Specs 1.0.0 at:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article218.html#ldu

An easy way to convert mm in LDUs is Mike Heidemann's prog LDCalc:

http://ldcalc.mikeheide.kilu.de/

Don't miss Marc Klein's website for modeling tips in SW as well as converting SW
data into .dat:

http://marc.klein.free.fr/lego/stl2dat/stl2dat.html

Hope this helps.

w.

Re: Looking for dimensions of LEGO bricks.
I have been playing around some Cad software called SolidWorks and would like
to model LEGO bricks. Is there a resource for accurate dimensions of LEGO
parts?

Hi Dave,

check out the LDraw Specs 1.0.0 at:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article218.html#ldu

An easy way to convert mm in LDUs is Mike Heidemann's prog LDCalc:

http://ldcalc.mikeheide.kilu.de/

Don't miss Marc Klein's website for modeling tips in SW as well as converting SW
data into .dat:

http://marc.klein.free.fr/lego/stl2dat/stl2dat.html

Hope this helps.

w.

IIRC, *real* Lego parts use Imperial units, so converting to/measuring
using the metric system will involve lots of decimal places.

-Mike

Re: Looking for dimensions of LEGO bricks.
I have been playing around some Cad software called SolidWorks and would like
to model LEGO bricks. Is there a resource for accurate dimensions of LEGO
parts?

Hi Dave,

check out the LDraw Specs 1.0.0 at:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article218.html#ldu

An easy way to convert mm in LDUs is Mike Heidemann's prog LDCalc:

http://ldcalc.mikeheide.kilu.de/

Don't miss Marc Klein's website for modeling tips in SW as well as converting SW
data into .dat:

http://marc.klein.free.fr/lego/stl2dat/stl2dat.html

Hope this helps.

w.

IIRC, *real* Lego parts use Imperial units, so converting to/measuring
using the metric system will involve lots of decimal places.

-Mike

Given that Denmark went fully metric in 1912 and that a 1x1 brick is 8mm x 8mm x
9.6mm (stud exclusive) it seems unlikely that imperial will work out better for
you.

Although it does so happen that 8mm is quite close to 5/16inch.

Tim

Re: Looking for dimensions of LEGO bricks.
Given that Denmark went fully metric in 1912 and that a 1x1 brick is 8mm x 8mm x
9.6mm (stud exclusive) it seems unlikely that imperial will work out better for
you.

Although it does so happen that 8mm is quite close to 5/16inch.

Tim

When I measured a 32 X 32 baseplate it was 10 inches.