 CAD / 16153
16152  |  16154
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Purpose of physical colour parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:01:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Allen Smith wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Santeri Piippo wrote:
What are the physical colour parts such as
<http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/4206482.dat this one>
for? Wouldn't it be more disk-space saving to rather have a list of
coloured part numbers? I have my hands on quite a lot of them through
building instructions, and I think that if one made a physical colour part
of each one of them the PT would be soon cluttered up by them.

We had discussion about this several times (Please search Lugnet).
Because TLG uses these days the colored numbers in the instructions, we try
to bring also this number to the user. The AIOI lets you choose to install
these parts or not.

I hope this answers your question.

cu
mikeheide

Unfortunately, I missed this discussion and haven't stumbled on the magic
search phrase to dig it up again.

It strikes me that creating hard-colored parts for every part/color
permutation Lego ever has or ever will produce has a number of drawbacks:

* It's duplicative. Linetype 0 has a color component to solve this problem
  for all past, present, future, and even non-existent combinations.
* It dramatically decreases the signal-to-noise ratio on the part tracker at
  a time when LDraw output is already moribund.
* It will clog the LDraw library with tens of thousands of utterly redundant
  "parts."
* Physical-colored parts are not versatile in actual modeling.

Those are stacked against a single positive:

* They match one of Lego's internal part database keys.

I think the drawbacks outweigh that one lonely positive by a large margin,
especially since that one positive could have been reproduced with a simple
lookup table—if it was even important to begin with.

Allen,

I agree with you and would go a step further: I cannot see any benefit to have
alias parts for transparent and opaque parts, but all this is the territory of
the PT admins and I'm not going to mess around in their corner of the sandbox.

The only case where hard-colored parts with ItemID numbering could serve the
purpose is a special LDD library which would prevent LDD/LU ripping off parts
which are supported by LDD but NOT in the color you've chosen
in MLCad. Such a library would have nothing more than simple parts with a hard
coded color and a header title reflecting this:

0 LDD Minifig Head with Evil Skeleton Skull Pattern - White
0 Name: 4162427.dat
0 Author: Willy Tschager [Holly-Wood]
0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_Shortcut Physical_Colour
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see
CAreadme.txt

0 BFC CERTIFY CCW

1 15 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3626bpa8.dat
0

But as long LDD import parts solely based on DesignIDs the entire disussion is
superfluous.

w.