 CAD / 16042
Re: ldraw.ini location
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:48:07 GMT

Orion Pobursky wrote:
<snip>
What is in this file?

Allen

It provides a file in a standard location for programs to look up the LDraw base
path and other assorted paths including search paths.

Lars summed it up quite well:
The ldraw.ini file is a containing LDraw configuration information.
An ldraw.ini file may look like this:
   [LDraw]
   BaseDirectory=C:\Lars\LDraw
   LgeoDirectory=C:\Lars\LDraw\Apps\lgeo
   [LDrawSearch]
   1=<MODELDIR>
   2=<HIDE><DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\P
   3=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\PARTS
   4=<LDRAWDIR>\MODELS
   5=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\UnOff\PARTS
   6=<DEFPART>C:\My Own Parts

-Orion

I didn't know about this file ether, there is no info about it on
ldraw.org as far I could find. Because of this I haven't used it for
LD4DStudio. But it seems very useful although some standards would be
nice to prevent it from growing wild.

About the location, ms does barely know them selfs where to put stuff,
look at all the relocate and backwards compatible folders in Vista. it's
a mess in the root of c:\ :)

But if you decide to standardize it's location the proposed non user
specific appdata location would be the best I think.

As for Linux I believe it's the "/usr/etc" location thats mend to
contain global user level config files.

But I would not force people to store it at specific location, some
people like to keep their LDraw stuff mobile.

Maybe in the future software needs only to know the location of this ini
  instead of the location of the library. And it tries first at the
'standardized default location' if it's not there it asks the user like
most software does now with the library location.

for that to work nicely the library installer should create the ini and
ask the user where to store it (but suggests the default in that dialog).

Roland