 CAD / 14809

Subject:
Problem with Primitive Generator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:08:24 GMT

...actually the problem is not specific to PrimGen (btw, thanks Paul for this
great tool!) but appears when some rounded primitive meet a straight surface:
conditional lines at the edges of these primitives appear when they shouldn't.

See http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/primgenbug1.png. The right side
shows a 1-4cone24 and the unwanted line, the left side is a 1-4cyli (official
primitive) that behaves correctly.

The origin of this issue is obvious here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/primgenbug3.png, the control point
of the cylinder matches the flat surface, while the cone control point matches
the next section of a cone.

Note that the problem is not specific to cones, it also happens with toruses
(http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/primgenbug2.png). A 1-4cyli
created with PrimGen also shows this behavior.

Philo

Re: Problem with Primitive Generator
...actually the problem is not specific to PrimGen (btw, thanks Paul
for this great tool!) but appears when some rounded primitive meet a
straight surface: conditional lines at the edges of these primitives
appear when they shouldn't.

See http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/primgenbug1.png. The
right side shows a 1-4cone24 and the unwanted line, the left side is
a 1-4cyli (official primitive) that behaves correctly.

The origin of this issue is obvious here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/primgenbug3.png, the
control point of the cylinder matches the flat surface, while the
cone control point matches the next section of a cone.

Note that the problem is not specific to cones, it also happens with
toruses (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/primgenbug2.png).
A 1-4cyli created with PrimGen also shows this behavior.

I think a solution that mostly works was invented around this
time frame:

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=3375

Instead of using cylinder primitives with an optional line at one end
that expects to be mated with a similar cylinder primitive, you use
optional lines at both ends that share the work by dividing the curve
angle in half.  This puts the optional line control points on the
tangent plane, which allows you to mate a cylinder primitive with
another cylinder or with a quad in the tangent plane.  But it doesn't
work for S curves made of two cylinder primitives mated in the
opposite direction.

I don't think this was ever implemented for cylinders, but it might
have made it into some of the sphere primitives.  More info here,
with pictures and some discussion of the primitive generator.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/primitives/?n=350&t=i&v=a

Don

Re: Problem with Primitive Generator
I think a solution that mostly works was invented around this
time frame:

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=3375

Instead of using cylinder primitives with an optional line at one end
that expects to be mated with a similar cylinder primitive, you use
optional lines at both ends that share the work by dividing the curve
angle in half.  This puts the optional line control points on the
tangent plane, which allows you to mate a cylinder primitive with
another cylinder or with a quad in the tangent plane.
Yes, that's the way cylinder primitives are done, and it seems to work very
well. I think other primitives could be improved that way.

But it doesn't
work for S curves made of two cylinder primitives mated in the
opposite direction.

That case is not that bad - the angle where the middle line appears is divided
by two, so it is an improvement. Moreover the line is better accepted in that
case since the surface is locally tangent to the eye direction.

I don't think this was ever implemented for cylinders, but it might
have made it into some of the sphere primitives.  More info here,
with pictures and some discussion of the primitive generator.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/primitives/?n=350&t=i&v=a

This thread perfectly describes the problem. Unfortunately Paul didn't update
PrimGen...

[...]

I believe this was corrected back in November of 2003. There have been other
updates to PrimGen since then.
Look under options, 'original style cyli and cones'.
I do not recall a discussion where it was ever decided to change to the "newer"
configuration so I set the option 'on' at start. (it does not save this setting)

Cheers,
Paul Easter

http://www.geocities.com/pneaster/prim-gen.htm

Re: Problem with Primitive Generator