 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3375
Re: New Part, 99% done: 6203.dat - Container ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:52:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tore Eriksson writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse writes:

Anyhow, I gave it a spin in a few of the CAD programs and
noticed a few odd things I'd like to discuss.  First, the
use of half cylinders separated by quad spacers seems to
produce some anomalies with the optional lines.  The optional
lines at the top of the handbag where the cylinders meet the
spacer quad are missing.

I have noticed that kind of problems too. It must be due to the current
primitives, and not flaws in my parts authoring.

I agree.  I think the problem is that the current half cylinder
primitives expect to be mated with other cylinder primitives to create
a whole cylinder.  Connect edge A with optional line to edge B without
optional line.  But connect edge A to something else and you've got
a problem.  You can see it here.

Notice how the optional line (represented by a zigzag in l3glite) at
the top of the half cylinder extends beyond the solid portion of the
cylinder and into the expected next piece of cylinder.  When the half
cylinder is mated to something else this is guaranteed to be wrong.
Perhaps a better system of would be to remove this optional line from
the end of the half cylinder primitive and provide a half cylinder
joiner primitive containing the optional line for those times when
you want to join two cylinder primitives.  But who knows how many
part files would have to be rewritten to use this.

One thing I did notice though is the need of using hi-res primitives. The
problem is that there are no hi-res versions of 1-4rin12 or 2-4rin12, or
1-4rin13 or 2-4rin13. Maybe they would also reduce the optional line related
problem?

It wouldn't solve this problem, but it would be nice to have more of
them.  Hmmm, maybe I should make ldglite generate them on the fly and
store them in the models directory whenever it can't find one.  That'd
be handy.

Don