 CAD / 10696
Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:38:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney wrote:
   Hey everyone! Writing to let you know that the book Virtual LEGO (by yours truly, Steve Bliss, and Ahui Herrera) has finally hit the shelves! It is now shipping from Amazon.com and showing up in your local bookstore soon (if its not there already).

I’m just curious - what are the significant differences, if any, between this book and the Power Tools book? Everyone has differnt requirements and I just want to know which one best suits my needs. I’m interested in getting one of these books, but it will only be one of them (amazon’s postage charges to Aus are, not to put too fine a point on it, extortionate). Has anyone posted a comprehensive review of each of the books anywhere - the one’s on amazon are too vague.

Allister - I’ve gone through about 1/3 of Powertools, and I’d say the material is organized a bit differently. Virtual LEGO devotes an entire chapter to parts authoring, and from what I’ve heard, it goes into greater depth with building instruction theory/creation (but I could be wrong, I’m using secondhand info here since I haven’t gotten to Powertools’ coverage of BI’s yet).

I’d love to see a comparison/contrast review of the two books! Can anyone who’s read both give Allister a quick comparison for his shopping needs?

-Tim

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:43:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:
[...]

I almost forgot, on the (US) Amazon page for Virtual LEGO, you can buy the two books together for a discount: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1886411948/qid=1066232517/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-7284602-4697519?v=glance&s=books. Not sure if this offer is good for Australia.

-Tim

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:05:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I almost forgot, on the (US) Amazon page for Virtual LEGO, you can buy the two books together for a discount: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1886411948/qid=1066232517/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-7284602-4697519?v=glance&s=books. Not sure if this offer is good for Australia.

Actually, this isn’t true, and is a very good example of deceptive advertising on Amazon’s part. Add up Amazon’s price for the two books individually, and you get the same price they list there. The “discount” is off the standard list price, and you get it whether you buy both books or just one. This seems to be standard practice at Amazon, so please don’t be fooled.

--Travis

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:22:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:

   Actually, this isn’t true, and is a very good example of deceptive advertising on Amazon’s part. Add up Amazon’s price for the two books individually, and you get the same price they list there. The “discount” is off the standard list price, and you get it whether you buy both books or just one. This seems to be standard practice at Amazon, so please don’t be fooled.

--Travis

Heh, I was fooled. : Well, at least I saved one shipping & handling fee...

/Tore

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!