 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4167
4166  |  4168
Subject:
Toronto Star Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:36:29 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Last fall I was commissioned by the Toronto Star to do a live one day build as part of a promotion (new sales feature they were launching) at a conference hosted by Strategy Magazine at the Sheraton Hotel (downtown Toronto).

More pics here.

Back Story...

Prior to the event, I designed a few concepts. After the newspaper box was decided on, I mocked up an incomplete version for approval.

I drove down to the hotel the night prior with boxes full of mostly blue basic brick (plus few other bricks and few base plates) plus my mental plan and the mosaic parts pre-made.

The following morning, I set up and panic set in. Apparently in my rush to pack, I had left a base plate and some blue plates at home (a good three hours away). I placed a call to Chris and he came to my rescue, bringing me the parts I was missing. I can not thank him enough.

I soon got to work, slowly before the attendees eyes the Toronto Star Box appeared from the mass of blue bricks. By the end of the day, an actual paper was placed in the opening “glass” door.

My favourite part of this construction is the Lego “chain” that slides thru holes in the back to affix it to its desired location and the chrome lock that closes the money box.

What I was building was to be a surprise, and many people made comments and questions (similar to the ones we get at shows) and halfway through some were catching on. By far, the best compliment I received was from this one women “Oh wow, I had seen you building all day, but when I turned the corner I was shocked to see the had set up a Star Box. It was only upon coming closer that I realized that it was the piece you were building.”

I’d like to thank the Toronto Star for this opportunity for working with them.

Janey “Red Brick”

P.S. This is the second time that I know of that the Star has worked with AFOLs for promotion. A number of years back some members of rtl did the Logo in brick which, and was featured on the Saturday paper.