 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3960
3959  |  3961
Subject:
Ethan Allen at Fort Ticonderoga
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 04:19:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

A quick vignette of Ethan Allen capturing Fort Ticonderoga at the start of the American Revolution.

Brickshelf Gallery

This was based on the painting found on Encyclopaedia Britannica’s website. The painting is based on an engraving by Alonzo Chappel.

The scene pictured is Ethan Allen demanding the surrender of the fort by Captain Delaplace. Ethan Allen, in a book about his life, tells that when the Captain asked by whose authority Allen and his men had come, Allen said “By the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress”. I’ve also read that, according to some of his men, what he really said was “Come out you dirty rat!” I suspect it was some combination of the two.

Another interesting bit about this scene is that Allen apparently demanded surrender from the wrong man at first. According to a report by Lieutenant Jocelyn Feltham, he was the man who answered the door, after waking Captain Delaplace. Feltham reports: “Mr. Allen told me his orders were from the providence of Connecticut and that he must have immediate possession of the fort and all the effects of George the Third, Mr. Allen insisting on this with a drawn sword over my head and numbers of his follower’s firelocks presented at me, alleging I was commanding officer and to give up the fort....”

-Elroy