 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3959
3958  |  3960
Subject:
LMS Shunting Engine with Tender
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 15:49:55 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I’ve just seen my latest Factory model added to Cool Train Creations, so here it is:

It’s based on the 0-4-0 ‘OF’ class (or ‘Pug’) saddle-tank steam shunting engine, introduced in Britain in 1895. I’ve used the livery of the London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS, 1923-1948) - well, a very bright red version of it. Not strictly correct as if this was used in a marshalling yard, it would probably have just been plain black. Only the Caledonian Railway, in Scotland, used these to pull branch line services. It’s hard to do other colour schemes though with the brick selection.

It’s a highly detailed and fairly complex build, as you can see from the inlaid lettering and stripes. If you want to take the CAD file and look at it closely you’ll find all sorts of SNOT and half-plate techniques to align it all. For example, the studs that hold the tan round plates on the side are actually 1x1 technic bricks laying down, and the stack above it is studs-down.

This rear view shows the cab detail, and the hatch in the back for shovelling in coal. I generated this shell as a separate model so that it can just drop straight onto a motor. I’ve yet to see if it fails ‘approval’ for being too similar. The wheelset of the main model is easily replaced with a plain motor though. You can also fit a light brick on the motor to illuminate the firebox, or remove the grilles from the firebox to run in a cable to power an RC train motor.

The tender on its own in close-up. This is for carrying a small around of coal whilst shunting in the marshalling yard.

Larger Image and Gallery. Images link to Factory models. My Factory gallery is here.

Jason Railton