 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2933
2932  |  2934
Subject:
Finally...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:20:05 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello, everybody!

Well, parts of it have been on exhibition before, and even the current
setup has been on display once, but now I took the opportunity to take a
few pictures of the completed model. It was about time, too, as the MOC
will meet the DARK SORTER after this very exhibition.

The Inn at the Olde Road

<http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album223<http://festum.de/1000steine/album/album223/2005_08_17_imgp0076.sized.jpg>>

Designed and build by Christian Treczoks

Building Time: Approx. 3 years, mostly for the acquisition of parts. If
I had to start over, I’d propably need 2 to 3 weeks to rebuild it.

Number or Bricks: Approx. 50000 to 60000. The tree alone consists of
about 3500 bricks.

Weight: 50 Kilograms.

Size: 144x192 "studs", about 115,2x153,6cm (about 4 by 5ft for the
metrically disadvantaged)

The model is based on a map I once drew up for a fantasy roleplaying
game. It does not depict any specific historic example.

Description of the buildings

<<http://festum.de/1000steine/album/album223/Schema.sized.jpg>>

The "Inn at the Olde Road" is the only caravanserai and settlement along
the "Olde Road", a trading route that runs through a dreaded forest. The
dangerous woods spread a good days way to the east and west from the inn.

1.  The Olde Road – An important, yet dangerious trading route. No one
     travels on this road without guards - for good reason.
2.  The Hague – A thick and dense hedge protects the houses surrounding
     and supporting the inn.
3.  The Hague Gate – One of the few passages through the hedge.
4.  The Horse Barn – The horses for the royal courier service are
     stabled here. Upstairs, the innkeeper and his mother[1] have their
     quarters.
5.  The Main Gate – There is quite some traffice in the morning and in
     the evening hours..
6.  The Guest House – Downstairs are the kitchen and the dining room,
     upstairs are the guest rooms
7.  Construction Site – A new house is being built.
8.  The Wall – The surrounding woods are quite dangerous, therefor the
     Inn is fortified. Guards are keeping an eye or two open day and
     night.
9.  The Old Gate – The rear entrance of the inn, used maily as cattle
     gate.
10. The Corn Barn – Here, the forage for the guests’ animals is stored.
11. The Servants Quarters – Such a big inn needs a lot of manpower for
     upkeep and service. The house is built atop the ruins of an old
     castle.
12. The Court – With its own spring and fishponds.
13. The Stables – The building is part of the castle that once stood
     here. Only two thirds of the old main hall still exist, and the new
     owners just patched the building up with boards and beams to make it
     usable.
14. The Blacksmith – Wherever a lot of horses, carts and carriges come
     along, a blacksmith can be quite handy.
15. The Tree – An old, large oak tree gives shadow to the court and the
     fishponds.

Setting it all up at Dinger's Gartencenter in Cologne

<http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album224<http://festum.de/1000steine/album/album224/2005_08_17_imgp0053.sized.jpg>>

PLMKWYT!

Yours, Christian Treczoks

[1] Back in the olden days, when I mastered this gaming session, the
name I gave the innkeeper was "Norman Bates". And yes, he talked about
his old mother living "up there", and there were tales of a blonde lady
travelling alone, and now missing ;-) What a nice red herring... He was
mentally totally sound, only a little worried about rumors he heard (and
therefor nervous), and his mother may be old, but she was still alive.
And the girl was missing - well, all the traders and travellers hire
protection for the route for a reason. She did not. Ah yes, and in the
next playing session, the players arrived at the harbour city and
learned that the only ship going in their direction was the saling ship
"Nostromo". And they thought that this was a red herring, too. Boy, were
they mistaken...