 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2822
2821  |  2823
Subject:
All Kinds of Structures (A.K.o.S.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:53:07 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This is my first post here. I would like to announce a standard I’ve been working on.

All Kinds of Structures (A.K.o.S.)

The purpose of this standard is to define a modular block-based building method for building towns. Modules can be squares or rectangles, their dimensions are multiples of 16, for example 16×16, 16×32, 32×32, etc. These modules should be used to build larger modules with dimensions that are multiplies of 32 to ensure compatibility with 32×32 baseplates. Adjacent buildings will share walls, so the standard is best used to quickly build inner city streets. (Though it allows the modular construction of larger buildings as well). Other than the module-size restrictions, this standard is not very strict. The following images should only be taken as demonstrational examples, you can build your modules any way you want just make sure they can connect with similar modules.

One module does not necessarily equal one building, for example a 16×32 module may hold a 12 and a 30 stud long building. Similarly, a 16×64 building may be using two 16×32 modules. 16×16 modules are best used as corner hoses. Four corner house modules can be used in a 32×32 block or two of them can close the ends of a 16×32 module.

The lowest part of a module may be a baseplate. It is useful if the structure can stand without the baseplate so the baseplate can be removed if need be, for example the structure is standing on pillars because there is a subway station under it.

Part of the standard is a modular frame, which makes building more effective. The frame is built using ordinary pieces, it can be quickly disassembled for storage or transportation, and most importantly it reduces the BOM for your buildings. As a side-effect, your building will be easier to work on or be modified.

Because modules are placed next to each other, most of the firewalls do not have to be built. The frame reduces the buider’s job to build only the facade walls and the roof. If part of a firewall is visible, the that part of frame can easily be covered so the building will appear to be completely built.

Using the frame allows you to build the facade independently from the rest of the building. The facade can easily be removed from the building, when - for example - you want to modify or repair it, or when you want to store or move your building.

The frame is covered by the facade, so its color does not have to match the rest of the building.

The frame even makes the modules modular, so you can always change the layout of your modules. Of course one would need several modules to be able to vary them. If more people create such modules, whole city blocks can be assembled for shows in very little time. If your display is against a wall, it is sufficient to only build the front, the back may be left unbuilt. (Much like movie backdrops are built.) If your next dislay is on a table, closed block can be build from the modules, so all four sides would look neat.

The facade is 2 studs deep, this allows for more detail. (For example, recessed windows.) Of course, parts of the building can stick out from the plane of the facade, as long as they fit in the overall layout. (Flags, the edge of the roof, etc.)

Using the frame allows you to build in multiple themes, as long as you don’t need buildings in both themes at the same time. You can have one frame onto which you snap a Castle facade for one show or a Town facade for another show.

If you don’t already have certain bricks a specific color, you can substitute them with another one. When you get the right bricks, you don’t have to tar down the whole 3D building, just snap off the facade, fix it, and snap it back on.

The modular frame can be utilized by clubs also. If your club stocks up on the standard frames, the members would only have to build the facades/roofs and bring them to the meeting or show.

The modular frame uses the following primitives: - 2-pin connector block - narrow panel (height can be different) - wide panel (height can be different)

The narrow panel is used on the 16 stud sides, so a 16×16 corner building requires two of them.

The wide panel is used for 32 stud sides, so a 16×32 building requires two narrow panels and one wide panel.

Adjacent modules are connected using a 4-pin connector block.

Facades can be connect to the side panels using Technic pins. The facade’s height is up to the builder, but obviously it should be as tall as the panels (or taller).

The facade for a 32 stud side is 2 studs deep and 32 studs wide.

A 16 stud corner building has two facades, these are also 2 stud deep, but the width of both can not be 16 since they would overlap. A 14 and a 16 wide facade is a simple solution, other methods can also be used. (For instance, a curved wall is perfectily OK.)

These blank white walls are only used for demonstration, a “real” building would look a bit different:

The top of the facade can be covered with tiles, so it would be easy to add or remove the roof.

Here is the CAD documentátion: http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=91680

And here is a small MOC that was build to demonstrate the A.K.o.S. standard: Images: http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=91492 Instructions: http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=91686

MOC-specific facade and roof elements:

They can be used on a corner frame:

Or on a regular frame:

Please let me know if you built an A.K.o.S. based MOC!

Akos Kostyan

LEGO Ambassador

akos@malug.hu