 Ambassadors / 98
Re: Who Does Lego Like the Most?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 01:57:16 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Kevin Heckel wrote:
   So the 5th cycle of ambassadors was just announced, and I’d like to take some time to reflect on the state of the Ambassador program. 5 half-years in, and I’m still unsure of the goals, effects, and unintended consequences of the program.

The Ambassador program is tremendously opaque. Every bit of info seems to need to be squeezed out of the system (like Legofan.org crashing), and besides that there are no formal announcements about concrete accomplishments. Or when something new is announced, it is unclear what role the Ambassadors had in it. I mean, even the secretive Bush Administration has a State of the Union, right? Perhaps the corporate culture is stifling communication? (For instance, I have no doubt that even the terms of the NDA are subject to the NDA.)

Given the Lego scene’s lack of any serious journalism, I am forced to merely speculate as to the intentions of Lego and their degree of success with the program. After all, on first glance it appears to be ethically dubious on both sides of the fence and looks to be more trouble than it’s worth, unless most of the benefits to the company are invisible, in which case it merely smacks of corporate co-optation of the fanbase to clamp down on leaks.

So here’s my hypothesis: Since it doesn’t lead to significant increases in sales, and perhaps actively bogs down the productivity of both the company and the AFOL participants, I can only conclude that the program is implemented because of LOVE. Yes, the Lego Company has feelings too, and they wuv their fans as much as their fans wuv them. So I assume the Ambassador Program is merely a front for a giant internet sleepover with pillowfights, blanket forts, snuggles and huggles.

If TLG can’t have a giant virtual sleepover with its biggest fans, then Mega Bloks has already won. Are you with us, or are you with the clones, Kevin?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations