 Ambassadors / 113
Re: Who Does Lego Like the Most?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:05:43 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Bob Parker wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Kevin Heckel wrote:

Given the Lego scene’s lack of any serious journalism, I am forced to merely speculate as to the intentions of Lego and their degree of success with the program.

Call me a cynic, but I always assumed that the main goal of the Lego Ambassador program was to increase sales (read: dollars, pounds, euros, lyra, rubles, etc.). Also, it could have been a way to quell some of the whining that takes place when changes are made (i.e. color changes and 9V trains).

If Giant Evil Corporations (and I’m afraid that Lego may be one :gasp:) pretend to listen to what amounts a small (but vocal) core fan base, then hopefully that will lead to more buyers getting all warm and fuzzy inside and then stop buying Mega Bloks.

Of course, I imagine that if you ask the average kid/mom in the toy aisle of Wal-Mart, Toys R Us or Target about the Lego Ambassador program, you will be looked at quite strangely. So this begs the question who was the LA program designed for? AFOLs or the Average Lego Buyer?

I’m going with AFOLs.

**quiet coughing in the back of the chatroom, then**

I hate to be potentially contrary...

no, I don’t.

**sighs**

I cannot think of too many companies that would even deign to form a group similar in structure (as I understand it) to the Ambassador program. Especially a company that is dedicated to a toy--to have given even a minor nod to adults--and especially adult fans--just isn’t done too often.

I’m not going to say that TLG is looking out for the Average LEGO buyer. (They are, in some ways.) That they even have have a program (and, IMHO, it is designed for the AFOL crowd) to ask for feedback from is amazing to me. They are, at the end of the day, looking out for the bottom line period. No harm in that. That’s what companies do, after all. But I look at what all TLG does...and am amazed. FLL, Ambassadors, Serious Play, and some of the other work they do with education...yeah, yeah, I know. It boosts the bottom line.

But, I don’t see other so-called brick companies doing these things. (In all fairness, I don’t look for that, either.)

So, is it (the Ambassador program) big enough? Are there “enough” representatives? Probably not, in either case. Should this be better explained in better detail to the AFOL base (Through things like LUGnet, TLG’s own Press Room, etc.)? Yes, yes, YES!!! Does TLG understand that the AFOL base is larger than they know--and is larger than LUGnet shows? Or Brickfest? Or any other item one can name? No, I am sure they don’t. (I’ll use myself as an example--I didn’t even know about these things until I did a web search!) Therefore, I am guessing that a good number of AFOL’s don’t know that there is an Ambasssdor program--and in exchange, TLG does not have a real estimate on the AFOL base. (Hey, that sounds like a Classic Space set--the AFOL base....)

My point: That there is a program--that has AFOL’s as a basis, if not a true resource--is a good start. That they’ve doubled the size and length of commitment is A Good Thing. Hopefully, this is a trend we will see continue--in size and scope.

And maybe, in a few years...I’ll put in for a slot. (Maybe not.) But that it is there...hey, it’s a start.

Play Well and Prosper!

Matthew