 Adventurers / 720
FOTD: 5976 River Expedition, short review comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 20:43:00 GMT

Wandered into my friendly neighborhood Ames (East coast chain similar to
K-Mart).  This place's LEGO section used to be a horror, with boxes stacked
and thrown in haphazardly...but that meant that there were often older sets
mixed in.  I saw with shock & horror that they had cleaned up.

But, much to my happiness, I found a 1789 Star Hawk II on the shelf.  And
on a nearby shelf marked '50% off Clearance prices' I found a 5976 River
Expedition marked down to $40...final price at the register, $20.  (It was
the only one present or I'd have bought more...)  They also had some of
the Amazon Ruins marked down to $70 (with 50% off of that) but after studying
the box I decided that I didn't care much for that set.

Anyway, a few comments on the River Expedition.  At it's MSRP I think it's
a bit skimpy for the money outlay, but for $20 it's more that great -
especially those 10-wide bow sections.  (If they bring back Pirate, I hope
that they use that method to make the hulls!  It allows for much greater
customization and creativity.  I doubt they will, but I can always hope...)

On the down side, this was my first experience with Palm Tree Jr.  All
I can say is:

AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Holy flaming Quetzalcoatl on a pogo stick, Batman!  That thing BITES!
When the discussions first cropped up about it, I thought everybody was
overreacting, but I was *wrong*.  Yuck!  Yuck yuck yuck!  If anybody
actually likes them, contact me, I'll give you a real good deal on a
trade just to get rid of the thing.

Aside from that, though, it's a nice set, and if you can find it on
clearance, I highly reccommend it.

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m