 Znap / 65
Re: Have not bought any yet, until tomorrow...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.znap
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:20:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.znap, Aaron West writes:
Do the parts make for good spacefleet structures, or doorway arches for
Castle?

I'd say Znap would make good parts for a space station.  There are lots of
truss-like pieces which would look good as the framework.

... can they be easily mounted to regular
brick structures?

Not quite so easily - there are no studs in Znap. You need technic type
friction pins or cross axles (the pin-blocks from castle sets are fine).

What sets have the best useful parts (don't care for the
main models...), and are the motors "any good"?

3591 has 265 parts including a motor. ~$30 Good variety and quantity, but no
    flex shafts.
3571 has 143 parts including a motor and 2 flex shafts. ~$20 Good for quantity,
    but less variety than 3552.
3552 has 127 parts including a motor and 2 flex shafts. ~$20 Less parts than
    3571, but it has arches and other parts which 3571 lacks.

I haven't bought any of the non-motorized sets, but I suspect that they have
more parts to make up for the lack of motors.

The motors are the same as regular geared technic motors.  In my estimation
they are very efficient, quite powerful, and are geared to turn at an
appropriate speed for many Lego uses.  Also, the flex shafts are great if you
don't have a lot of Technic parts or experience.  With flex shafts you don't
need to know a lot about gears and linkages to automate your models.  I'm sure
spaceships could really use them for rotating antennas, solar arrays, etc.

-Phil