 Znap / 58
Re: Znap popularity?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.znap
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:43:05 GMT

In lugnet.znap, Philip Ogston writes:

I'm just curious: What do people forsee for the future of Znap in the US?
Here's what I know based on observation, rumor and innuendo...

I gather that Znap never really took off in Europe when it was introduced in
1998.  When I was in the Netherlands in February the department and toy stores
had piles and piles of it on clearance discounds of about 50% off.  Also the
1999 line seems only to have had one or two sets (I saw an insect-like model,
but not in great numbers) and there doesn't seem to be a 2000 line of Znap at
all.

Now all this Znap pops up in ToysauRUses (at least in Kalamazoo, MI, Florida
and a few other places) at the same discounted prices that they have been
recently in Europe.  And there's tons of it.

My hypothesis is that european distributors overstocked the "fabulous" new • Lego
line in 1998, and in late 1999 after storing it for two years and with no hope
of ever moving it, put it all on an westward bound container ship and threw
rotten vegetables after it as it disappeared over the horizon.  Of course
that's all conjecture (except the part about the vegetables, I'm sure of that
part), maybe Lego always planned to introduce the 1998 Znap line in the US in
2000.

Any thoughts?  Where did it come from?  Why is it here?  What will we do with
it?  Will it stick around, or is it destined to turn up in Japan and Australia
in another couple of years?  Why do my thumbs hurt so much and why is my dog
making that funny choking noise? (just kidding, I know why - it's canine
emphysema, he smokes 3 packs a day)

-Phil
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people"

The major problem with the "popularity" issue of Znap, is that it is limited
to those who can see an immediate use for it. I put myself into that category
and want more ;-).

It is a specialized piece group. It is an extrapolation of Technic. It cannot
be integrated (easily) into most peoples' constructions. However, for
structural re-inforcement of large constructions, it is amazing. I was
surprised at the low prices TRU has marked them at. But, I am taking advantage
of it!!

For all of those people buying the sets for the motors only, send me the rest
of the pieces ;-)!!! My girlfriend will thank you as I reduce my spending on
them.

Sign me - Can't get enough (black) ZNAP!

Wayne

my correct e-mail is eskimo2@worldnet.att.net