 Znap / 218
Re: Znap overhead monorail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.znap
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 07:07:03 GMT

Hey, that's cool!!
Nice use of those rock raider pieces too.

Gary

Ray Sanders <rsanders@svic.net> wrote in message
This is a prototype of a Znap overhead monorail. The car (only one for • now) is a
gondola style, hanging under the overhead rail. I went thru several • iterations
of design for the traveling carriage (along the overhead rail) before • settling
on this one. For a long time, I thought it would need a wheel riding on • top of
the rail. Experiments show that that is not the case. The side wheels (6 • at
present), are more important (as they keep the everything from falling • off). The
assembly on top seems to slide along the Znap rail with little or no • friction.

I still need to do some work on the attachment points to the gondola. As • you can
see, I'm using some 2x2-2x2 brackets, which have minimal stud/plate • holding
power. Once that is ironed out, then I'll work up a motor drive.

The support structures for the rail are almost all znap, except for one • double-
bent technic beam (near the top) and a few perpendicular technic • connectors.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=6016>

One thing that drove me crazy when interfacing znap to technic (or system) • is
the odd spacing of the pin holes in znap. Pin holes on the znap beams are • spaced
in odd multiples (relative to system) of 1, 3, 5, 7, etc studs.

When building with Znap, technic pins with friction and technic axle pins • are
you best friends. This is my first experience building with znap, • certainly will
not be my last.

Ray