 Znap / 216
215  |  217
Subject:
Znap overhead monorail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.znap, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 02:20:47 GMT

This is a prototype of a Znap overhead monorail. The car (only one for now) is a
gondola style, hanging under the overhead rail. I went thru several iterations
of design for the traveling carriage (along the overhead rail) before settling
on this one. For a long time, I thought it would need a wheel riding on top of
the rail. Experiments show that that is not the case. The side wheels (6 at
present), are more important (as they keep the everything from falling off). The
assembly on top seems to slide along the Znap rail with little or no friction.

I still need to do some work on the attachment points to the gondola. As you can
see, I'm using some 2x2-2x2 brackets, which have minimal stud/plate holding
power. Once that is ironed out, then I'll work up a motor drive.

The support structures for the rail are almost all znap, except for one double-
bent technic beam (near the top) and a few perpendicular technic connectors.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=6016>

One thing that drove me crazy when interfacing znap to technic (or system) is
the odd spacing of the pin holes in znap. Pin holes on the znap beams are spaced
in odd multiples (relative to system) of 1, 3, 5, 7, etc studs.

When building with Znap, technic pins with friction and technic axle pins are
you best friends. This is my first experience building with znap, certainly will
not be my last.

Ray