 Year / 2001 / 915
Re: New 84** technic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 14:41:50 GMT

I already own four of the wheels from the Power Puller and I can't
figure what to make of them, they are to wide compared to their height
to fit good in a scale model. At least the ones I think of :)

Yeah they do seem somewhat wide for most types of models. Although I was
thinking that they would work quite well on monster trucks and the rear
wheels on back-hoes.

Monster trucks, off road vehicles, lumber harvesters etc. etc. but not
back-hoes.

Also, why did they turn the text "TECHNIC POWER" inwards on the tires?

I was wondering about that too. Another possibility is that the wheels are
slightly different than the ones on the 8457 Power Puller and don't have the
text at all. I thought that the text on the tires on 8457 and 8458 looked
kind of neat though...

Zooming in on the picture you can spot the text on the inside of the
tires so the printing is still there. The printing was on the same
side on the 8457 too but the rims are turned the other way around.

I don't think it matters which way you put the tires on the rims
though (got it wrong on my 8457 and it worked) so why did they do
this?

What other parts can be worth owning the car for? More bent studless
pieces?

I actually find many of the new liftarms and axle connectors very useful in
my constructions. Although they require a bit more skill to use correctly,
the end result can be very rewarding as the model turns out to be really
strong and still relatively light in terms of weight. Some new pieces that I
thought were somewhat useless were those decorative panels and most of the
throwbot/roborider parts.

I think the plates can come in handy too, but I already own a ton of
the bent pieces and axle connectors :/

What is this? A 8448 off-road?

That's essentially what it looks like. If it lives up to its name "4x4
Off-Roader", it would also have 4-wheel drive and possibly 4-wheel steering.
(if they are able to integrate steering and drive functionality into the
front wheels, why not do the back ones as well? :-) )

Don't think it will have 4-wheel steering but I hope for front
steering and propulsion!

Can't wait to get hold of a copy of this...although I 'll probably wait for
a few opinions from other people first. (made this mistake with 8458;
ordered it immediately only to find that it was not all that impressive for
the money)

[did not buy the 8458 at all, perhaps if I find it on sale]

/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/