 Year / 2001 / 446
Re: 2001 Racers now at shop.lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:12:35 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
Here's a question - why the change in market strategies so severely?  Did kids
10 years ago develop right from Duplo into System?

There used to be the Freestyle/Basic 3+ sets which only had 2xY bricks
and used larger doors and windows (earlier 2x4x3 windows and 2x4x5 doors
and later 2x6x6 doors and windows). Then there were 5+ sets which had
slightly more complex pieces.

Presumably TLC is struggling to figure out the best way to get people
hooked on LEGO. The trouble is that there _is_ so much competition out
there, and I think parents are getting more and more concerned about
small pieces (of course I can hardly remember if my mother ever said
"no, you can't have that, I don't want to be picking up the small
pieces" but I hear that all the time in the store).

On the other hand, the struggles to meet the needs of younger kids are
no excuse to ignore the needs of older kids. The good news is that we
have another non-juniorized theme this year, Life on Mars (sure, there
are a few large pieces, but for the most part, this theme is not
juniorized - it's pretty comparable to Star Wars). The new train doors
and windows packs do suggest TLC recognizes that trains are of interest
beyond young kids (of course, they should have realized that long ago -
model trains are by and large an older kids hobby, not a younger kids
hobby, in fact, the average age of said kids is somewhat higher than the
age required to vote...[in fact, if one thinks about it, this factor
probably is very significant in the fact that LEGO Trains are one of the
biggest draws for AFOLs, model trains have long been the most acceptable
"kids toy" for adults to play with]).

Frank

Message has 1 Reply:
  Re: 2001 Racers now at shop.lego.com

(...) How about, "You'll shoot your eye out!" Best wishes, Aaron (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general)

Message is in Reply To:
  Re: 2001 Racers now at shop.lego.com

"Jake McKee" <jacob.mckee@america.lego.com> wrote in message news:G5qtME.7Gp@lugnet.com... (...) There is that age range, but doesn't Town Jr. fit it nicely already? I'd agree with this line (and I kinda do, seeing your point) more if Town Jr. (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general)