 Year / 2001 / 445
Re: 2001 Racers now at shop.lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 04:15:49 GMT

"Jake McKee" <jacob.mckee@america.lego.com> wrote in message
news:G5qtME.7Gp@lugnet.com...
There is no relation at all.  They are a true mystery, because they look
more like something between Duplo and System (yet Duplo can work with
System!).

That is exactly what they are for. There is an age range of *children* who
are too old for DUPLO, but too young for System.

There is that age range, but doesn't Town Jr. fit it nicely already?  I'd agree
with this line (and I kinda do, seeing your point) more if Town Jr. *didn't*
exist.  To me, Juniorization without something to compliment it for older ages
is 100% bad, so the way I see Town Jr. etc now is aboug 80-90% bad (because
there is a little left for us older than 8 in System).

Here's a question - why the change in market strategies so severely?  Did kids
10 years ago develop right from Duplo into System?  Does early child development
change that drastically, even though we do have that darned video game
generation thing??  It seems to me that TLC is producing juniorized stuff for
the sake of producing juniorized stuff - and not backing it up with much above
the junior level, besides Star Wars.  Even that's pushing it.  Why can't we have
the themes back, with pieces that allow more creativity?  We've had enough of
the POOPs, time for some real building material.

I'd pay inflated Ebay prices for 1996 and earlier Town, before I'd ever buy a
City Center set.  And I'd do the same for space.

I sincerely hope that LEGO takes a big punch for this one series,
perhaps it will hurt them so bad they'll ditch it after 6 months and bring
out a new series of Town (like the stuff from 1989-1996!) with no junior
instructions (One booklet per set!!) and a nice selection of multi-useful
parts that are NOT juniorized.

Please keep in mind that wishing for bad things doesn't help anything...

True.  But TLC should gain something from these discussions - and in the realm
of system products, it appears you/they [1] are NOT listening.  TLC/LEGO Direct
has been *awesome* in listening to us in some areas, and seemingly deficient in
others.  Is it a part of a timed strategy for relations, or are certain parts of
the company off-limits to you guys (still)??  I would hope that if the latter is
true, some reorganization could take place so that information can pass through
easier and provide for the people you are interacting with.

and
also remember that this product line was created *for* juniors, so a little
juniorization is not a bad thing.

Nope, but remember to keep it in moderation.  We don't want to see the whole
product line go Juniorized - and from the way I see it, everything is except for
Star Wars and Technic/Mindstorms.  Not every adult collector is a Technic,
robotics, or Star Wars/Space/Castle (for the parts) fan.  Provide for the
townies too, please.  (and while I'm at it, bring back Pirates??) :o)

If you want to build brand loyalty, build products kids can grow up with and
then take into their teenage and adult years.  LUGNET has proven that you have a
great product that ALL ages enjoy, so provide for that.

I would even go so far as to say that the company should develop campaigns and
products to spread the adult hobby to gain them a bigger market (and adults
spending for themselves always have deeper pockets).  In the four months I've
been away at school, 70% of the people who see what I do with LEGO products (and
virtual LEGO) are AMAZED by it, and I've met about 10 or so AFOLs here, where
the hobby is kinda lying dormant with them.  Keep in mind, that's all just
college students - 18-22.  There's a tremendous amount more potential for LEGO
as an adult hobby than people realize.

Jake - sorry to yank you're 'just another LUGNET member' hat off, but I couldn't
resist. :o)  I would like to hear what you think of my comments, from a personal
and company standpoint, if possible.

[1] Not a personal attack in the least - but I hope you will take comments like
this and pass them along within the company, *please*
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne

Message has 1 Reply:
  Re: 2001 Racers now at shop.lego.com

(...) There used to be the Freestyle/Basic 3+ sets which only had 2xY bricks and used larger doors and windows (earlier 2x4x3 windows and 2x4x5 doors and later 2x6x6 doors and windows). Then there were 5+ sets which had slightly more complex pieces. (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general)

Message is in Reply To:
  Re: 2001 Racers now at shop.lego.com

(...) That is exactly what they are for. There is an age range of *children* who are too old for DUPLO, but too young for System. (...) Please keep in mind that wishing for bad things doesn't help anything...and also remember that this product line (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general)