 Year / 2001 / 321
Re: My thoughts on the 2001 sets (Life on Mars and LEGO Studios)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:07:53 GMT

Jeff Johnston wrote:
7310 Mono Jet 33 pcs $3.99 1 minifig:

The figure is identified as the "Assistant" in the
instructions.

And atop the box - this is the first time I've seen the characters in a set
identified on the box by name.  Also, checking through the sets that were
present, it looks like if you buy the full theme, you'll have some
duplication among the explorers, but very little among the aliens - each of
the sets I saw had a different alien in it, although I don't know what the
largest set contains.

Correct, excluding which aliens might be in the large set, there is no
duplication of aliens.

There is a light blue slope and 2x4 plate, this light blue
is the same light blue as in the 2000 Belville sets.

It is to regular LEGO blue what the new 'verdigris' is to regular LEGO
green - a sort of pale, grayish version of the color that I hope sticks
around.  The 'salmon' color seems to be the equivalent for red.

I disagree, I think the new blue in 7313 is the blue in the new range of
greyish colors. This light blue is somewhat greyish, but not as grey as
the "salmon" and "verdigris" colors.

I beg to differ.  There are six of the little buggers - two of them are on
the 'leg'.  Anyway, they look like they'll be quite useful for mecha
builders and the like - I'll say it again, long live the click hinge!

I'm sure this isn't the only count which is wrong, I was somewhat in a
hurry, and was counting parts by looking at completed models.

A light grey 2x2 round tile with an interesting
flame printing is used. A light grey battle droid arm holds the
instrument panel. The instrument panel is a grey 1x2 plate w/rod along
one side, topped with a dark grey 1x2 tile with a new alien printing.
This control panel arrangement is used in many of the Mars sets, and is
quite nice.

I liked the control panel - it gave the impression of something that could
fold out of the way for easier entrance/egress from the vehicle.

Yup, in fact, I found the easiest way to get an alien into one of these
cockpits was to "open" the panel, clip the alien to the handle, and then
swing everything into place with the alien sitting in the cockpit.

7312 T3-Trike 99 pcs $9.99 1 minifig:

This model is a nice 3 wheeled trike with each wheel on an independently
sprung suspension arm. A trans grey (smoke) 6x6 hemisphere dome provides
a windshield (but doesn't seal the compartment very well).

This is the same dome that was foind in trans-lt. blue in great quantities
in the
divers sets - good to see it in a different color!

Yup, it's great to see a good variety of canopies in trans grey.

The driver is
identified as Doc in the instructions. Doc is a white minifig with gold
and silver printing (in a different style from the Assistant). Doc
sports a white helmet with metallic blue visor.

If I remember right, he also uses the "Spielberg" head from the Movie
Studio.

I didn't compare heads too carefully, again, rush.

7313 Red Planet Protector 194 pcs $19.99 1 martian:

This is a decent looking mech.

Well...sorta.  I was disappointed by the fact that the various 'arms' just
hang down and are not really posable - a simple Technic friction peg could
have solved that problem.

I agree, those two weapons arms just dangle horribly. They beg to be
re-worked with either a friction pin or a click hinge.

7314 Recon-Mech RP 194 pcs $19.99 1 martian:

This is another interesting mech.

I haven't bought it (yet), but from the pictures it looks like it's a
better
overall mech than the 7313 in terms of the range of poses, etc.

Yes, definitely a better design, and I agree with your earlier comments,
these mechs are far and above better than just about anything else TLC
has released in the past. They don't have all the articulation necessary
for good posing, but doing so would require either using Throwbots ball
joints or significantly more click hinges, and some friction pins.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com