 Year / 2001 / 319
318  |  320
Subject:
My thoughts on the 2001 sets (Life on Mars and LEGO Studios)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:55:08 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I've built a bunch of the 2001 sets, I've got all but the largest sets
in these two themes (7317 was not to be found in my local stores and
since I don't have a USB port, I will be waiting to buy 1349 until I can
get it on sale). I haven't built all the Studio sets, so this review
only covers the three that I've built.

7310 Mono Jet 33 pcs $3.99 1 minifig:

This is a weird looking cross between a motorcycle with side car and a
jet skimmer vehicle. A white Star Wars engine provides the jet power for
the unit. A single large grey wheel allows it to scoot around on the
ground. The pilot sports a grey vest with gold and silver printing,
somewhat reminiscent of Exploriens. A grey helmet has a metallic blue
large visor (like the space port visor). The head unfortunately has a
printed headset. The figure is identified as the "Assistant" in the
instructions. There is a light blue slope and 2x4 plate, this light blue
is the same light blue as in the 2000 Belville sets. Other interesting
parts include 2 white 1x2 bricks with cross hole, a dark grey 1x2
control panel tile (Rock Raiders style), a trans-red 2x2 radar dish, and
a dark grey 4x9 dual tapered wing plate. This set is interesting but not
remarkable.

7311 Red Planet Cruiser 73 pcs $6.99 1 martian:

A nice little flyer vehicle which has a single foot. It is piloted by a
single martian. The martians generally have "teal" heads and arms, this
fellow has a lime green torso and legs. The martian is identified as
Altair in the instructions. The torso and arms are the same parts as the
Star Wars battle droids. The leg piece and head are new. This is an
interesting new alien, with a sort of frog look (we might see some find
their way into the castle realm). The flyer has a bunch of interesting
new parts. In weathered green/verdigris, it includes 2 3x6 half octagon
plates, 2 1x2x1.3 rounded top piece w/plate extension, and 2 1x2 medium
slopes. Several regular green parts are also present, including 2 1x2
medium inverse slops. 4 3 stud long round click hinge arms are included
in dark grey. This new part has a male and female click hinge, one at
each end and is ribbed. A light grey 2x2 round tile with an interesting
flame printing is used. A light grey battle droid arm holds the
instrument panel. The instrument panel is a grey 1x2 plate w/rod along
one side, topped with a dark grey 1x2 tile with a new alien printing.
This control panel arrangement is used in many of the Mars sets, and is
quite nice. Overall, this is a great little model, and worth buying in
quantity.

7312 T3-Trike 99 pcs $9.99 1 minifig:

This model is a nice 3 wheeled trike with each wheel on an independently
sprung suspension arm. A trans grey (smoke) 6x6 hemisphere dome provides
a windshield (but doesn't seal the compartment very well). The driver is
identified as Doc in the instructions. Doc is a white minifig with gold
and silver printing (in a different style from the Assistant). Doc
sports a white helmet with metallic blue visor. There is a white 2x2
round tile with light blue printing which seems to be a symbol of the
explorers. The printing seems to show a minifig moving hands and arms
(and is reminiscent of the symbol on the disk on Voyager [or is that
Pioneer]). 3 2x2 light blue medium slopes and 2 light blue 1x3 low
slopes are used. The trike uses 3 wheels which are the same as the one
in 7310. A light grey metal detector is used as some sort of gadget. The
model also uses a new flex hose. 2 are included in light grey. The hose
is ribbed and longer than the old flex hose. One end has a stud and the
other a tube which will prove useful, also, each end has a length which
is rod thickness. The end pieces are dark grey. This is a very nice
little model.

7313 Red Planet Protector 194 pcs $19.99 1 martian:

This is a decent looking mech. It is piloted by the martian Centauri.
Centauri has a blue torso and legs. This set has several new parts. It
includes the new canopy in trans grey, 2 dark grey 2x4x4 fan housings, a
1x2 brick with 2 technic pegs, a 2x4 piece with top technic peg (this
piece is a POOP of a 2x4 plate, a 2x2 plate, and a 2x2 tile with
vertical technic peg, however, this piece will allow some more secure
construction). This model also introduces a new color, a blue grey. In
this color are 2 2x3 low slopes with alien claw printing (I love the
alien claw printing which appears in several models), 5 2x2 medium slope
gable connectors, a 4x6 wedge slope, 6 1x2 grill tiles, and a pair of
4x8 triangular plates. Other interesting parts include a dark grey Scala
table leg, dark grey 1x2 grooved bricks, 2 2x2 tiles with red grille
printing, a dark grey 2x2 round tile with a hatch or something printed,
2 new flex hoses (light grey with black ends), 2 blue small 3 bladed
propelors, and a grey pod racer control vane. The mech is pretty
interesting and utilizes several Technic connectors so it is modular.
The use of click hinges and plate hinges allows a decent range of poses.

7314 Recon-Mech RP 194 pcs $19.99 1 martian:

This is another interesting mech. It is piloted by Antares who has a
white torso and legs. It again introduces a new color, a pinkish grey.
In this color are included 4 3x4 wedge plates, 2 2x4 medium slopes, 3
1x2 plates with a rod at each end, 6 1x2 grille tiles, 2 2x2 round
tiles, 5 1x2 plates with rod along one edge, and 2 2x4x4 half cylinders.
A new part is a new claw part. 2 parts are connected into a part with a
ball socked and a click hinge (like used in the town jr construction
sets to hold hooks). The claw is sprung by a rubber band, and each half
has 2 sections of rod thickness and is ribbed. The claw closes to
provide a rod thickness hole. Other interesting parts include 2 light
grey 2x2 round tiles with flame printing, 3 1x2 Technic beams with 2
holes, 2 light grey 2x2 round tiles with red grille printing, 2 red 2x3
low slopes with claw insignia, a trans grey new style canopy, grey 1x2
bricks with 2 Technic pegs, 2 trans dark blue 1x1 bricks, a light grey
4x4 radar dish with an alien claw printing, a red 1x1x2 cylinder which
takes Technic pins, and 2 new style light grey flex hoses with black
ends. Another nice little mech.

7315 Solar Explorer 242 pcs $34.99 3 minifigs.

This is a nice little modular shuttle craft. The crew includes Doc
(described in 7312), Mac and BB. Mac sports a new bearded head. BB also
sports a new head with orange hair. Neither of these heads have
headsets. The two wear metallic blue aqua helmets with metallic blue
large visors. New parts include a thin plastic piece with a gold hex
pattern (the plastic seems to be similar to that used for sailboard
sails), a part with a female click hinge and a Technic axle hole, a 2x2
orange part which is just weird (it's some kind of crystal matrix as a
trans-dark blue 1x1 round cylinder is attached to it - these things are
found in the trans orange 2 part rocks), and several parts already
mentioned. Interesting parts include 2 white 1x16 Technic beams, 4 white
rounded top half arches, a white 1x6x2 rounded top arch, white 1x2
Technic beams with 2 holes, white 1x2 bricks with 2 Technic pegs, a
white 4x4 faceted dome, a trans-orange 2 part rock (Rock Raiders style,
not the Space Port cratered style), A trans grey 6x8x3 "Millenium
Falcon" canopy (with decent printing), 7 light blue 2x2 medium slopes, 2
light blue 2x3 low slopes, 2 light blue 1x3 low slopes, a pair of white
6x12 tapered wing plates, black click hinge cylinders (as described
above). bunches of click hinges, the 2x2 printed round tile, 2 dark grey
2x4x4 fan housings, and 2 white 1x4x1.3 rounded top bricks. One
dissapointment is several printed parts with Insectoid printing. A small
cart and a communications module are provided. Overall, a nice set
though pricey.

7316 Excavation Searcher 471 pcs $49.99 3 martians:

This insect (scorpion) looking mech is quite neat. A small excavating
station or something is also included. It is crewed by Vega (organge
torso and legs), Canopus (tan torso and legs, and Pollux (grey torso and
legs). New parts include a light grey 1x2 brick with male click hinge
centered on one side, and a purple grey 1x8x6ish arched doorway
thingamabob. Other interesting parts include 5 tan 4x4 wedge slopes, a
pair of tan Technic body panels with nifty claw printing, 2 trans orange
rocks (with orange crystal holders inside), 4 orange 2x2 round tiles, a
pair of orange claw arms, an orange 6x6 webed dish, grey 2x2 round tiles
with an orange claw printed on, a 2x2 medium slope with alien printing,
lots of tan and some light grey, dark grey, and brown, lots of click
hinges, a tan 6x6 "Tie Fighter" multiple inverse slope, and bunches
more.

Well, I'm out of steam so the Studio sets will have to wait. The Life on
Mars theme is definitely a nice theme. There is only minor
juniorization, and lots of things carefully built up (there are several
hinges made of a pair of 1x4/2x2 hinge plates separated by 1x2 plates.
Hopefully we will see more of the new colors. A variety of interesting
new parts has been introduced. I like the martians. Most of the sets
have some modularity (and the modularity is based on the 1x2 Technic
beam with 2 holes).

Frank