 Year / 2001 / 265
Re: 2001 at Retail NOW?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:55:31 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Ken Dowd writes:
In lugnet.announce, Tim Saupé writes:
I have received word of the Life on Mars line hitting TRU in FL.

Tim Saupé
Webmaster, "From Bricks to Bothans"
http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb

I just got back from Huntsville, Alabama where I found 2001 sets for Lego
Studios and Life on Mars at TRU (on Thursday).
For Studios they had:
1357 Cameraman $3.99
1352 Exploding Bank? $34.99
1351 Studio Backdrops? $59.99

Life on Mars:
7310 Mono Jet $3.99
7313 Red Planet Protector $19.99
7316    ?     $49.99

I picked up 1357, 7310 and 7313. I have not had time to put them together so
I can't say much positive or negative for the sets, but 7313 does have
pieces in a new grey color which I presume is the same as the new grey in
the Lego Mosiac set.

Ken

I bought 7314 which is Recon Mech RP in Atlanta tonight.  My initial
thoughts are:

1.  From looking at all the boxes on display (The only one they didn't have
at TRU was the big base thing) this is the best thing that's come along for
space in about the last 5 years.

2.  The model is well thought out, modular and shows how to easily make two
configurations right on the back of the box.  The model is also extremely
cool looking when put together and looks it on the box too.  Probably the
most attractive new set that isn't star wars that we have seen in awhile,
ESPECIALLY in space.

3.  There are new color pieces as well as new parts, the new color is like a
dirty pink (I'm sure there is a name for it but I don't know what it is)
The parts aren't particularly SPUDdish and I can already think about
alternate uses (The new cockpit canopy is great.).

4.  The system is modular with both the humans and the aliens.  In the back
of the instruction book it shows shows how to make a spaceship and a
gigantic walker thing from the 7314, 7315 & 7316 sets.  Just from the
modules, not by wholescale building but by just reconfiguring them together.

Final Assessment:  Nice job Lego.  Kids said they wanted something that they
could build faster and AFOLS wanted less "Juniorization".  This fits both
bills with kids being able to break apart the modules and create new stuff
easily with out dumbing them down.  I'll definetly be picking up all the
sets, I can't wait to see what the rest of the line looks like.

Matt