 Year / 2001 / 260
Re: New 2001 Lego Racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:23:56 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Chris Maddison writes:
I just got my Nov.-Dec. Mania magazine in the mail yesterday, and inside was
an ad for the new Lego Racers.  Y'know, those ugly little critters we saw
artist's conceptions of (in the 2001 catalog, I believe).  Well, they have
the actual sets in there, and they are horrendous.  I think each one is made
up of 7 pieces.  The driver-piece-thing, the 2 car body pieces, and the
bumper/frame  piece, and 4 wheels.  And there's some kind of a launcher too.
I'm betting they'll charge at least $4 for one of these.  Prolly $6.
Yuck.
-Chris

Whoaah! Someone at TLC needs a wakeup call! I didn't ever recognise it as
LEGO (I first checked the 'recent uploads' at Brickshelf before I read this
post).
What is LEGO thinking? What marketing research do they have to back this up?
"If we stamp the name LEGO on as many different kind of products, we will be
the most well known company in five years"?

I'd say, stick with what you're good at: construction toys! I'm sorry but I
cannot call these 'racers' construction toys.

Also, why the new theme? Soon we will end up with so many different things
(different sized figures etc.) that there is no such thing as a LEGO System
but a whole bunch of systems that have very little in common. I was curious
what new things would be in 2001 for existing themes but I'm afraid that all
existing themes have been replaced by generic toys :-(

Todd once wrote "If LEGO was my company..." Well, if LEGO was my company I
rechecked my marketing data and tried to improve the existing themes instead
of moving away from what LEGO is about - creating.

-Frank

xposted and followups to dear-lego