 Western/Wild West / 616
Re: Buffalos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 20:49:53 GMT

Although Mike's answer is great, I wanted to point you to Mike's more
definitive answer in the 2001 rules for building stats for animals. I have
edited it slightly for space and readability in this format, please visit the
following website for the full document:

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2001/2001-bookthree.txt

"9.2 Animals

While any type of animal can be built out of PBBs by a sufficiently clever
player, most of the animals in a BrikWars battle will be the ones specially
provided as POOPs by one PBB company or another (and of those, most will be
Horses).  The stats of these standard animals are listed below as examples.

9.2.1 Domesticated Animals
-------------------------

The most basic and common type of animal is the Horse, and so the Horse is used
as the example to demonstrate the development of an animal Species.  A horse
has four 1" legs, a tail, and a mouth; there are few enough limbs that they are
all provided free of charge.

We start with the Base Species Stats for animals:

       MV:5"    AV:2        Sk:1d6   Pwr:1    IQ:Smart     CP:2

A Horse is faster, hardier, and stronger than a minifig, but less intelligent.
We make the following modifications to statistics:

       MV:+5"   AV:1d10+1   SK: -    Pwr:+2   IQ:Trained
     (+2.5 CP)  (+2.25 CP)           (+6 CP)    (-3CP)

Rounding up the CP Cost, we arrive at the following results:

       MV:10"   AV:1d10+1   Sk:1d6   Pwr:3    IQ:Trained   CP:10"

And for some advice on adapting the basic animal stats to something specific
read this:

"0.3.3 Some Notes About Points and Pips
In later chapters, you will sometimes be given the option to buy 'points' of
certain unit properties, such as Armor Value, Damage, or Skill.  Sometimes
these properties will not be measured by a simple integer, but will also
include a number of dice.  If you want to know how many 'points' a die is
worth, in order to purchase more dice, or to convert between different types of
dice, divide the number of faces on the die by two and add ½.  This will give
you the average roll on that die.  For instance, 1d6 is worth 3½ points, 1d10
is worth 5½ points, 1d20 is worth 10½ points, and 1d3 is worth 2 points.  After
all the dice's point costs have been added together, any fractions must be
rounded up."

Hope this also helps in the creation of future creatures. Someone needs to
figure out the AV of a charging pack of Prairie Dogs.

Aaron

In lugnet.western, Don Cox writes:
I have been going through the Brikwars chapters and I cannot find a
reference to horses.  What is their movement rate and damage factor.  Also I
downloaded a pix of a buffalo many moons ago and I don't know who is the
original builder to give credit to, but I have made 12 so far and does
anyone have stats for their movement and what does it take to drop one.  My
indians use bows, spears, and rifles.  The buffalo hunters would use rifles,
shotguns (buffalo guns?).  I am considering scenerios involving indians vs
buffalos, indians vs buffalo hunters, and of course indians vs cavalry.

Any suggestions?

Don