 Trains / Train Organizations / SCLTC / 82
Re: They say a picture is worth a thousand words...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:26:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.scltc, Thomas Michon writes:
Alrighty... While no one was looking I "fixed" it.

Apparently, Netscape didn't like some of my variable names, while Internet
Explorer just worked. I renamed some variables and now it works with
Netscape (5.2+!)

I wish I could say "excellent" and can allow me to take down the temporary
gallery to the train pictures .. but alas, I can't.  I will admit, I fired up
and old copy of Netscape 4.76 and everything worked.  But this is because you
look for "Netscape" as the referencing browser in functions.js.  Browsers like
Opera, Mozilla, Galeon will be considered to still be Explorer.  Honestly, I
hate to say it, but you almost need to do it in reverse.  This being that you
handle Explorer as the special case, and everything else defaults to the
Netscape style.

Its a maddening thing .... and can be extremely discouraging.  You will never
get all the bugs out.  With browsers changing, standards changing, etc, etc,
etc things just keep getting worse.  Heck after building those quick pages on
my site I fixed no less then 5 bugs in my image gallery browser.  To be honest,
after I put the page up .. I felt kind of bad.  I really didn't want to step on
your toes which I probably did. I am sorry for that.

One other thing that I am going to have to say .. you must have some serious
bandwidth, or no bandwidth restrictions.  Just loading up your front page thumb
nail gallery is bringing up 244 images of ~5K a shot.  Thats roughly a meg a
load.  If you do have bandwidth restrictions, you are a pretty brave soul!

And the picts are wonderful.

I was originally trying to be compatible with both NS and IE, but I soon
discovered that all sorts of simple things did not work in NS and I gave up.

As I stated prior, AOL is probably going to move Mozilla as there next web
browser.  Not being compatible with Mozilla/Netscape could actually shut
millions out of your site.

Well, the pictures of our Fullerton layout are not the only one there...

http://www.scltc.org/pages/galleries/shows.htm

Thanks Brad for creating a temporary gallery while I "fixed" the problem. =)
Although saying "Microsoft is Evil" at the bottom of each page is pushing it...

Ok .. maybe that was a bad thing to say .. maybe.  I have changed it.  Instead
I will just smash my voodo Bill Gates doll around on the desk.

- Thomas Michon
Webmaster, SCLTC

Brad M.
Viffer Militech